Friday, May 6, 2011

They day I lived on my OWN...and got soaking wet.

Well, we are reaching the home stretch. I only have a week and a half left in the wonderful country of Thailand. Since returning to Chiang Mai from the villages, a lot has happened, which I am now going to inform you about :)

Leaving the Karen village was a really sad affair for everybody. Not only did we have to say goodbye to all of our new Karen friends, but the realization that SST 2011 was almost over was upon us. We just had one thing left to do: particiapte in Songkran.

Our drive back to Chiang Mai was just as long as ever...still over 2,000 twists and turns. Again, I took 2 Dramamine so I was OUT like a light, but unfortunately I kept being rudely awakened. By what you might ask? Oh, just splashes of ice cold water. Songkran is the most important holiday in Thailand. Its the Thai New Year, when everyone comes back to their original home town to be with their family from wherever they are. And how do people celebrate? By a huge, country wide, 4 day long water fight.

Chiang Mai happens to be the best place to play Songkran, as the locals say it. Families come from all over Thailand to Chiang Mai to celebrate. We were driving home on the second to last day of the festival, and although I had no problems with getting wet, our stuff was the issue. We had all of our suitcases with us in the Rod Dang and we wanted to keep them dry. Driving home was literally like a battle. I was stationed in the front and had to keep a look out for people ready to splash water on us. If I noticed someone, I would scream "ON THE LEFT." Then everyone else would pull windows shut and duck to cover their stuff. It was SOO much fun and definitely got the adreline pumping. We only missed a couple, soaking a couple of people in our rod dang, but mostly we kept dry. We were very proud.

The next day is when we WANTED to get wet. People drive around in trucks around the moat of Chiang Mai and splash anyone and everyone. People get pushed into the moat, and they put huuuge blocks of ice in their buckets. We rented a GINORMOUS dump truck- big enough to hold 30 of us, and we had 4 huge trash buckets filled with water and one huge block of ice. We each got our own individual buckets that we dipped into the big barrels and poured water on everyone. Needless to say, it was a blast. EVERYONE came out for the celebration- little kids and old people a like. There was not one dry surface in the city. People were so nice about it to- they would come up to you, smiling, say "sabay dii pii may!" and pour a bucket of water over your head, and then do the traditional wai. Everyone was soaking in their jeans and hawaiin shirts (everyone wears hawaiin shirts for Songkran, and everyone is modest so they all wear full outfits). They also closed off two of the major streets for a city wide, soaking wet, dance party! So much fun. We were completely drenched by the end of the day, and exhausted, but it was definitely one of the most fun things I've ever done. I don't have any of my pictures, because I didn't want to bring my camera, but I found this video on youtube :).


Shortly after Songkran, the rest of the SST group left. That was SO sad. These people have been my family for the past 4 months, and I've gotten closer to them then most other people I know. Lots of tears were shed, but it also advented a new stage in my life: living alone in a foreign country. I am staying an extra month longer than everyone else to get my TEFL- teaching english as a foreign language- certifcation, with 6 other people from the program. Four of us girls have rented an apartment together about a 15 minute walk away from campus, and we pretty much buy market food every night. Its so exhiliarating to be doing things on our own without a supervisor, but is also exhausting.

The TEFL course is amazing. I'm so glad I decided to do it. Its long hours -11-7 every day- but it is very rewarding. We spend the first half the day in classes learning how to teach. Its fun because we got to meet people from all over the world, and we get to play games a lot :). From 4-6 we teach our own class! We have to write lesson plans and think of activities. Its SO different from teaching at Baan Ponsawan- our students are college aged, and are really excited to learn. They are all so sweet and love learning English. I have so much fun with them, and maybe I'll come back and teach in Chiang Mai again! Who knows!

A week from tomorrow I fly back home, and I'm both really excited and really sad. I know I'll miss Thailand SO much, but I am so ready to see my friends and family again. I haven't seen you all in 5 months! I'll post one last farewell post before I leave :)


I'm also still soaking wet..because every day it has thunderstormed while I walk back from class, and I lost my umbrella! Mai pen rai! :) (which means..it doesn't matter! live it up anyways!)

Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment